Monday, December 09, 2013

Makeup

For the past few days I have been rather unmotivated and have not done myself up. I worked extra hours, early hours, so I often felt too tired to try to put on makeup. This morning, however, I did my makeup, as I normally do, and really enjoyed it. I had forgotten how much I love getting ready in the morning.

Source

I don't think I need makeup to be beautiful, but I love the ritual. Powder, eyeliner, mascara, brows, blush, lips. It is this routine that makes me feel like I've started my day. I had been feeling off for the past few days, and I think now I know why. I hadn't been indulging in this ritual.

There is this vintage makeup ad that I run into frequently, and it somewhat upsets me.

It implies that you need makeup to be beautiful. "You'd hardly believe that the same face could become so beautiful, would you?" I think the woman on the left looks just as beautiful as the woman on the right. In the 50's and 60's especially, but even now, women were considered not dressed until they had "on their face". That is one of the reasons makeup is so vital to the vintage look, because everyone wore makeup, but that is because society told them they had to.

What I am saying is, if you like makeup and you feel it makes you look better, wear it proudly. If you don't think you need to wear makeup, go out proudly. If you are like me, and love the ritual, then indulge in the ritual. You don't need to wear makeup to be beautiful. Everyone is beautiful. Accept it in yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from everyone reading me!