Wednesday, December 04, 2013

The Buche De Noel

Every year I make at least one Buche De Noel. They are one of my favourite things to make. They date back centuries. They are a cake that looks like a log. This was an offspring of the traditional Yule Log: an actual log. Buche De Noel means Christmas log, or Yule log. It is a sponge cake rolled up with a creamy filling, and frosted with chocolate frosting (to look like bark); it is often garnished with meringue mushrooms!

Meringe Mushroom caps and stems, Adventures in the Past Blog


The un-assembled mushrooms

Buche De Noel, Unfrosted, Adventures in the Past Blog

Cake, phase 1 (well third after baking, rolling, and filling. but first for actually assembly)

Buche de Noel, Dirty Frosted, Adventures in the Past Blog

Cake Phase 2: Dirty frosted

Buche De Noel Finished Product, Adventures in the Past Blog

Buche De Noel Finished Product, Adventures in the Past Blog
And lastly, garnished with mushrooms and holly. I felt that I needed to get all decked out for Christmas, in order to match the cake.

There are many different flavor combinations. I think the most traditional is orange sponge cake, with chocolate filling and frosting. The idea was to have the cake look like fresh cut wood when sliced. I however, go a different route: Chocolate cake, mocha filling, and dark chocolate frosting.


Here is the one from last year:

Buche De Noel 2012 Adventures in the Past Blog 

Sorry about the picture quality.

Anyway, the cake is delicious, and French, so you know it will taste as good as it looks. There is a new trend, however, to make the cake with mouse covered in a chocolate shell. So, I can attempt to justify my traditional version as a more retro Buche De Noel!

What do you bake at Christmastime? Happy Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from everyone reading me!